Getting descriptions for cgit

One missing piece on git.gnome.org right now is to be able to set the
descriptions for http://git.gnome.org/cgit/. The current method is
"ask someone in the gitadmin group to do it for you", and they

 echo "Next generation GNOME desktop shell"  > /git/gnome-shell.git/descripotion

Some ideas about how it could work:

 A) We could have another special command to set the description

     ssh git.gnome.org set-description gnome-shell "Next generation GNOME desktop shell"

    This is really trivial to implement, but means no version control, no logging
    of who changed what to what, etc.

 B) We could use a DESCRIPTION file checked into the module and pull that
    out in a hook.

    This clutters every project with another file containing almost nothing

 C) We could add a line to MAINTAINERS

    Sort of weird to have in maintainers. I also don't know what parses MAINTAINERS
    and would have to be adapted.

 D) We could revive the DOAP idea

    I thought it was a quite reasonable idea, but it generated a fair bit of
    hostility that I don't fully understand.

    Hmm, we could make:

     ssh git.gnome.org set-description gnome-shell "Next generation GNOME desktop shell"

    read your maintainers file, combine it with the provided description, generate
    a skeleton DOAP file, check it into your module in the MASTER branch... Or
    slightly less crackrock, we could have

     ssh git.gnome.org generate-doap gnome-shell > gnome-shell.rdf

    And you have to edit the skeleton yourself and check it in. If we didn't require
    people to write a <description/> then it would only be a few seconds per module,
    and that mostly in coming up with a short description for your module. Filling
    in your home page takes no time or thought.