Re: New module import to git.gnome.og

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:05 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 11:59 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>>
>> >  C) You push that
>> >
>> >     git push ssh://<user>@svn.gnome.org/exampleproj refs/heads/*
>> > refs/tags/*
>>
>> Wouldn't
>>
>>       git push --all --tags url
>>
>> just work?
>
> You can't push --all --tags. I don't know why. If you 'git push --all'
> 'git push --tags', then you spam commits list.
>
>> I don't like the idea of sending tarballs and such; people seem to live
>> just fine with github's or gitorious's method of "just push whatever you
>> need".
>>
>> We may just need to give the "push --all --tags" recipe for the majority
>> of users.  For people who have branches or tags that they don't want
>> published, they either already know what to do, or we can just tell them
>> "push each thing you want by hand" with a little recipe.
>
> Suggestions how to make "push stuff until it looks right" compatible
> with commits-list appreciated.
>
> - Owen

One option is to have the setup scripts run in 2 stages - one to setup
the initial repository, and one to make it live. Its not ideal, but
given this is custom stuff that we will have to document on the wiki
anyway, I dont think this is too bad..

That brings up a second issue - what is the incentive to actually
fully finish the procedure. What if i forget to run step 2. We could
use a mixture of the following to encourage people to finish the
process:

 * Allow a window of x hours before it goes live - pushes after that
time get denied unless you run a script. This will soon get boring,
given how easy it is to say 'yes im happy, go live'
 * Don't allow cloning over git:// (maybe dont allow pulling at all)
 * Don't show in cgit
 * Only allow repo creator to push
 * Can we display a warning message when pushing/pulling?

Maybe the commit list hook only happens when the repository has
existed for a couple of hours :-)

John