Re: Git migration status upate

2009/3/17 Xavier Claessens <xclaesse gmail com>:
> Le mardi 17 mars 2009 à 11:07 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
>> On 03/17/2009 06:25 AM, Xavier Claessens wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > First I would like to thanks all volunteers that worked to prepare the
>> > git migration. Really good job!
>> >
>> > Now that 2.26.0 is out, I would like to know what's the plan for the
>> > official migration? Is there any chance 2.27.1 will be made out of git?
>> > Do we have a diplomatic strategy to "force" that migration whatever will
>> > be said on d-d-l? Shouldn't we announce as soon as possible that the
>> > migration will happen rsn, so maintainers that are not used to git yet
>> > can start training instead of hoping that git will never happen for
>> > GNOME?
>> >
>> > Finally, as maintainer of Empathy, we are already doing all the dev on
>> > git, using the terrible git-svn... That means that lots of contributors
>> > have pretty large branches on git only. Is it possible to be warned 1 or
>> > 2 days before the migration so we push everything in SVN branches and
>> > get that code migrated. Otherwise all our branches will be
>> > incompatible... In such situation I guess the only way is to export
>> > every commit as patch and apply back on the new repository, right?
>>
>> I'm sure you can fetch the old and new tree into one repository and rebase the
>> branches over the new master.
>
> I don't think so, because the 2 svn imports will be completely different
> commits. You can cherry-pick commits from 2 git-svn checkouts of the
> same svn repositoy.

I think you can do it even with completely different history,
something like this:

git rebase --onto newmaster oldmaster topic

that basically means: take all the commits in the range
oldmaster..topic and rebase them on top of newmaster.

There is a section in the rebase manpage discussing this: "RECOVERING
FROM UPSTREAM REBASE".

HTH,
Santi