Re: Commit emails (was Re: git status update?)

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 09:30 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of things I've noticed about the commit mails after perusing
> svn-commits-list...
>
>     http://mail.gnome.org/archives/svn-commits-list/2009-March/thread.html)
>
> It looks like multiple commits mails aren't being sent with a "cover email":
>
>     * [vala: 2/2] gstreamer-rtp-0.10: regenerated with gstreamer-0.1, Ali Sabil
>     * [vala: 1/2] gstreamer-base-0.10: Fix GstBaseTransform.transfor, Ali Sabil

No cover mail is sent in the simplest case of someone just pushing
series of commits at once with no merge or other complications involved.
It's possible that the numbering should be left out as well. Though it
helps with the current misordering.

> At least one email (for gnome-bluetooth) had broken metadata:
>
>     * [no subject], Unknown

Looks at that mail in detail - it's an svn commit mail. :-)

>     http://mail.gnome.org/archives/svn-commits-list/2009-March/thread.html
>
> In a large multiple commit batch, many of the emails in the archive
> were very out-of-order:
>
>     * [gdm/multi-stack: 13/17] Pull verification functions out into
> their own sub, Ray Strode
>     * [gdm/multi-stack: 16/17] Disconnect task "loaded" handler when
> loaded, Ray Strode
>     * [gdm/multi-stack: 9/17] add debug spew, Ray Strode
>     * [gdm/multi-stack: 14/17] Add new function
> find_task_with_service_name, Ray Strode
>     * [gdm/multi-stack: 6/17] Initiate smart card auth when clicking
> on it in li, Ray Strode
>     (etc, etc.)

Yeah, I'm hating that. I don't have much of an idea for fixing though
other than adding a 'sleep 1' between the mails, making the commit take
17 seconds longer and hoping that fixes.

I'm just injecting the mails into postfix one by one using 'sendmail
-t'. My random guess is that the reordering probably occurs on
mail.gnome.org since that has the complicated setup with spam/virus
checking, etc.

If someone has better ideas for improving the ordering, I'd love to hear
them.

- Owen