Re: git status update?

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Commit mails now match what I described, but actually, the part that I
> would suggest you use hasn't changed. I'm not very comfortable with
> people parsing the subject and body, because that results in some
> combination of unreadable subject and body and scripts that break when
> we try to improve thing.

At the moment build.gnome.org parses the svn-commits emails and
extracts:

 - commiter, using the From header (but in git, shouldn't it (also?)
   look at the Author: field)
 - module name, using the Subject header (will be X-Topics)
 - revision, (will be X-Git-Newrev, but see below)
 - URL, (will be constructed, even though I would still like it in
   the email)
 - list of added, modified and removed files (this list is then used
   to mark commits touching only /po/ as less important, note the
   distinction is not really useful, and the list of files as given
   be diffstat is enough)
 - commit message

So currently it will have to parse the body to get the author, the
list of files and the commit message.  I don't think it is doable to
cram all of this into custom and structured headers.

However those are not strictly necessary for minimal buildbot
operation, and the mail parsing should be made robust enough to
fallback to headers if it can't parse the rest.  So you will be able
to improve things without worrying about breaking the buildbots.
(Of course a mail to build-brigade-list@ would still be nice on such
changes).

> Not there yet, but planned. In the buildbot context though, I'm
> completely sure what you'd want for the link... what breaks a build is a
> *push* - the update to what is in the master branch. But cgit doesn't
> know about pushes, just individual changes.

Right, but I don't think it is much of a problem.

As individual changes can be identified, buildbot will just add them
(just like today when there is many commits in a short timeframe) and
trigger a build when things are calm again.

See http://build.gnome.org/empathy for example (at 17:40:45).

> So in some sense, the X-Git-Newrev: header is sufficient.

I think so.

> > Early January I added pointers to jhbuild bug reports at
> > http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration#head-56bd8cc0ccd54c22ccd12fd588063f5681a62b2d
> > with that note:
> >   > There are a few bug reports that would benefit the eye
> >   > of a git expert
> > and got no comment on those reports, and
>
> I've now added (extensive) commentary on two of those. The third is my
> bug report, so I'm disqualified from giving expert testimony on it. :-)

Thanks, I'll try get my resident git experts (elmarco and jc2k) to
look again at them.

Cheers,
        Frederic