Re: Using Git and separating translations into their own l10n-LL repository

Le mardi 13 janvier 2009 à 23:01 +0000, Simos Xenitellis a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> This is a long-ish post regarding the migration to Git and
> what we can do to make l10n a bit better.
>
> Here I suggest to use the 'git submodule' support
> so that the translation material for each language
> reside in a single repository.
> Comments would be appreciated.
> If all is fine, I'll put this, with more details, to live.gnome.org.

<snip>

Thanks Simos for taking the time to evaluate such an infrastructure for
l10n.
However I doubt the relative complexity implied by your solution is
worth the trouble. I see basically two use cases:

1. The non-technical coordinator, who would like the simplest
infrastructure to commit his translation files.

-> In this case, an auto-commit feature integrated in damned-lies is the
best solution. No (D)VCS knowledge is required for him. FYI I've already
tested a prototype which can do this in the testbed git infrastructure.

2. The geek coordinator who like to have the most control on what he's
doing and how he do it.

-> IMHO, this one won't mind checking out entire git modules. This is
not very much different than the current situation.

Claude