Re: Remaming a master branch

Le jeudi 31 décembre 2009 à 00:04 +0100, Stéphane Raimbault a écrit :
> 2009/12/30 Bruno Coudoin <bruno coudoin free fr>
>
>         It does not really make sense to rebase my devel branch on
>         master, and
>         in trying I got so many conflicts that its not worth pursuing.
>
>         What is the recommended approach in this case ?
>

> Usually, master is the development branch so you just have to create
> branches for stable versions.

Sure but sometimes technology test branches succeed and becomes stable
after a while. You cannot always know what will happen and you may want
to pursue development on the master branch and a development branch.

> You can reset master to gcompris-8-4 with 'git branch -f master
> gcompris-8-4', but you risk to annoy people who depends on this
> branch.

This annoy people to not have master be the master branch so this is the
best solution anyway.

I tried this but this is refused at git push time with the error:
! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast forward)

> In your case, I'd rather rebase gcompris-8-4 on master (git pull
> --rebase from gcompris-8-4), then merge (fast-forward) gcompris-8-4 on
> master (git merge gcompris-8-4 from master) and finally create a
> branch to track the stable release.

I tried the merge option but after one day of merging I wasn't sure any
more of what I was doing. I though it does not make sense to merge two
years of development in master, especially since the 2 branch diverged a
lot.

Still looking for a solution...

BTW, happy new year ;)

--