Re: Contingency planning for move

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> We certainly appreciate the donations (and understand that Intel isn't a
>> server company.) But yeah, we've gotten to know the need to look gift
>> horses in the mouth with experience.
>
> Ha, yes indeed.
>

>> We need to work with the GNOME board and advisory board soon to get a
>> couple of servers to replace the old ones, and it's going to take a bit
>> of figuring out exactly how to handle that - do we want to limit
>> ourselves to asking for help from the tiny fraction of the advisory
>> board that actually is server companies? or ask for cash and have the
>> foundation procure the hardware, or...?
>
> You know what might be interesting is to get much larger machines and
> virtualize the services.  This would reduce the cost of supporting the
> hardware while keeping the same number of machines and simplify your
> hardware contract if you go with a server company like HP.
>

>> (Hmm, I'm sure there's something cool we could with an X25-E or two if
>>  you have an inside track for a donation there.... :-) Well, actually,
>>  no, not so sure, I would want to see someone come up with a real
>>  proposal first.)
>
> Well, I'll ask around, but white boxes are going to be a bitch to get
> someone to do a support contract for.
> sri

FWIW: Dell has 3-5 year support contracts included with their newer
servers. I was going to buy a R610 to replace container and forgot to
ping the inside sales rep... They never got back to me after sending a
quote originally. Their servers are more competitively priced than HP
and they are still a tier1 vendor.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com