Re: Contingency planning for move

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

We certainly appreciate the donations (and understand that Intel isn't a
server company.) But yeah, we've gotten to know the need to look gift
horses in the mouth with experience.

Ha, yes indeed.

We need to work with the GNOME board and advisory board soon to get a
couple of servers to replace the old ones, and it's going to take a bit
of figuring out exactly how to handle that - do we want to limit
ourselves to asking for help from the tiny fraction of the advisory
board that actually is server companies? or ask for cash and have the
foundation procure the hardware, or...?

You know what might be interesting is to get much larger machines and virtualize the services.  This would reduce the cost of supporting the hardware while keeping the same number of machines and simplify your hardware contract if you go with a server company like HP.

(Hmm, I'm sure there's something cool we could with an X25-E or two if
 you have an inside track for a donation there.... :-) Well, actually,
 no, not so sure, I would want to see someone come up with a real
 proposal first.)

Well, I'll ask around, but white boxes are going to be a bitch to get someone to do a support contract for.

sri