Upgraded blogs.gnome.org, installed APC

Hi all,

Just wanted to send a quick report to mention that I've upgraded WordPress
MU on blogs.gnome.org to 2.8.4a and installed APC (the php-pecl-apc RPM) on
window

APC will have a significant positive impact on the speed of every PHP app on
the webserver, and is sufficiently well-tested these days that it is highly
unlikely to cause any failures. However, it is a new variable. :-)

I briefly put the apc.php reporting script up so I could check how well it
was performing for the current load, but have removed it again (as it's not
well secured). If we end up having a permanent place for this stuff, we can
put it back up... but it's easy enough to copy across to a public spot if
and when you need to check on it in the mean time.

The only real maintenance issue it creates is the need to ensure it has
enough memory for the opcode cache (I haven't turned on the user data cache,
but I might do so at some point, if only for blogs.gnome.org).

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2010: Wellington, NZ                http://www.lca2010.org.nz/

    "The cool stuff coming out of freedesktop.org doesn't just happen as
    the result of an accident with a particle accelerator and a goat: it
            only happens when people hack on it." - Daniel Stone