Re: git: errors while pushing

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 11:18 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Gil Forcada <gforcada gnome org> wrote:
> > error: refname 'GNOME_ICON_THEME_2_17_5' is ambiguous
> > error: refname 'GNOME_ICON_THEME_2_17_5' is ambiguous
>
> This means that there are both branches and tags with the same name.  See:
>
>     http://live.gnome.org/Git/FAQ#head-46fe1ab3f7c391ba1746164ebb46837fa50f9f72
>
> It should be easy enough to delete the incorrect branch or tag.  I'm
> not sure if this means that there is an issue with the migration,
> though.

It typically means that when the tag was created it was initially copied
to branches/ instead or vice verse.  The svn importer doesn't delete
tags, so in those cases both the tag and branch remain in the resulting
git repo.  Deleting the errorneous tag or branch is pretty easy after a
quick inspection, but not something I wanted to automate.

cheers,
Kristian