Re: [Fwd: Issue with Merge Commits and using 'git pull --rebase' (Was: Re: Trying to understand git)]

2009/4/21 Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>:
> FYI.

They look like the same when looking at the cgit output, but one is a
normal commit and the other a merge. In cgit they look the same
because for merges you get the diff between the commit and the first
parent (the changes you incorporate while doing the merge), but as the
other branch has only one commit they are normally the same.

> Oh, you did a 'merge-commit'. I did one of those to 'gtk+', no less...
> The technical description is at
> http://live.gnome.org/Git/Help/ExtraMergeCommits
> and apparently, now, git.gnome.org is supposed to detect those and
> give you an error message.
> It is not clear why your commit was not caught in your case.

Because, most probably, he used 'git merge --no-commit; git commit'
and provided a commit message:

$ git show  2a7f5b319cb55c8851ab5141d55c42e5e5dca59f
commit 2a7f5b319cb55c8851ab5141d55c42e5e5dca59f
Merge: af64b94 2dc963d
Author: Edward Hervey <bilboed bilboed com>
Date:   Mon Apr 20 16:22:57 2009

    Merging translations