Re: Moving the bugzilla database from button to box

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 16:24 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> There are a few queries that take a lot of time under MySQL 4.1.20 that
> will perform much better on MySQL 5.0. I have no time to correctly test
> every database on button to see if the upgrade to MySQL 5 will cause any
> problems.
>
> I therefore propose to:
> 1. Put MySQL 5 on box (currently has an unused MySQL 4.1.20)
> 2. Move the Bugzilla database from button to box
>
> Note:
> http://live.gnome.org/Sysadmin/Servers
>  - button has RHEL3 and 2GB of mem
>  - box has RHEL4 and 4GB of mem
>
> Button has a nice setup to ensure the database is backed up. This should
> obviously also be implemented on box.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't think it's where we want to be long term ... I think there is
a lot of value to having a single database server, instead of multiple
ones; obviously there have been some problems with art.gnome.org
interfering with bugzilla or vice versa, but minimizing separate
items to configure and maintain is pretty essential.

On the other hand, it sounds like a positive short-term step. If we can
get the other databases migrated then we might want to even think of swapping
the  functions of button and box (after upgrading button), and having
the web/perl part of bugzilla run on button.

The backup setup should be straightforward to duplicate ... if you look at
/etc/rsync.d/backup.exclude you'll see that the actual MySQL directory
is skipped. The directory where the cron job copies the database is
backed up instead.

box rsyncs to backup at around 03:30 UTC, so you want to make the backup
run an hour or so before then.

					- Owen

(I haven't experienced many if any compatibility issues between MySQL
5 and 4 - right now we've switched to doing mugshot.org development mostly on
MySQL 5, but still deploying on MySQL 4.)