Re: www.gtkmm.org hosting

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 14:37 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 21:47 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:

> > > That works, though SSI is not turned on.
> > >

> > Sorry, my fault. An egregious typo in the Apache conf. Try again.
>
> Thanks. That seems to work now.
>
> Would this be the final location for the website files?

I was going to set up a mechanism to auto-update the site from CVS, as
we have for several other sites. I was putting this off because we are
planning to move to Subversion shortly, so I didn't want to have to do
the job twice, iyswim. Please feel free to send a reminder about this to
'support gnome org' so a ticket gets set up and assigned to me so I
don't forget, and I'll try to complete this when things are ready and I
have a few moments.

> Without wanting to appear at all ungrateful for your own hard work, it
> seems like we might not have the sysadmin resources to really support
> extra web sites. For instance, I'm not convinced that everything is
> documented enough that I wouldn't have to wait a few weeks to have the
> website restored in the event of another server hack/failure. Am I wrong
> about this?

No, you're quite right - we're not quite SourceForge ;)

Currently, we have a small team of volunteer sysadmins, who would rather
concentrate on keeping the core GNOME services up and running than try
to manage all the requests involved in maintaining a-hundred-and-one
different projects domains names, websites and mailing lists.

We do offer these services to those that need them and will always do
our best to do as professional a job as possible (as can be expected for
spare-time volunteer sysadmins). We obviously can't provide guarantees
and service level agreements.

> I might decide to use my own hosting account for this, though I'm afraid
> of how much bandwidth it could cost me, and other gtkmm developers would
> probably prefer not to depend on me either.

This is entirely your decision to make, depending on the needs of your
project and the resources available to it. Given the choice between
paid-for hosting (with an SLA, support contract etc) and free web
hosting on the GNOME servers, I know which I'd choose ;^)

--
Ross