[Fwd: Username length limitation]

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Username length limitation
Date:     Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:15:29 -0800
From:     C.J. Adams-Collier <cjcollier colliertech org>
To:     support gnome org

>> Hello all,
>>

>> We've been discussing on #sysadmin the username length
>> limitation.  I
>>

>> would like to discuss the reason for the 8-character limit policy
>> and
>>

>> see about removing it.  I don't believe that 8 character user
>> names
>>

>> will scale well.
>>

>> Plus, I prefer that my gnome account be 'cjcollier'
>>

>> So... Can someone tell me the rationale behind 8-character
>>

>> limitation?  I have not experienced any problems with the user
>> name
>>

>> 'cjcollier' since I started using the name in 1998 other than
>>

>> Microsoft and Amazon requiring shorter account names, and older
>> IRC
>>

>> servers truncating to the 8-char variety.
>>

>> What are the systems which require less than or equal to 8
>> character
>>

>> length user names, and is it possible to patch these systems to
>> work
>>

>> with the longer variety?
>>

>> I'd like to get my account set up, but I think that this will put
>>

>> hitch in future users' requests if it is not resolved now.
>>

>> Thanks much,
>>

>> C.J.
>

> rossg - Sun Jan 29 22:04:06 2006]:
>
> Hi,
>
> There are a few good reasons for the 8-character restriction. In
> fact, one of the reasons is that it is *far more* scalable than
> longer logins.
>
> I understand some people can't see why it's necessary 'in this day
> and age'. In fact, I looked to have the policy changed when I first
> started fielding accounts queries too, but I was quickly convinced
> by the rest of the team that sticking with an 8-character limit was
> best for now. Maybe that position has changed, I don't know.
>
> However, if you want a more in-depth discussion and public debate
> over the policy, please bring it up on
> 'gnome-infrastructure gnome org'.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Ross

I would like to hear discussion from gnome-infrastructure about
whether 8-char usernames is an outmoded or useful anachronism.

I would also like to be the first use case of longer-than-8-char
usernames.  I am eager and happy to provide feedback to this list if
and when I ever encounter problems with a longer-than-normal username.

Cheers,

C.J.

- --
<cjcollier colliertech org>