Re: gnome & subversion

Ross Golder wrote:
> you tell me what modules you'd like to investigate further, I'll roll up
> the CVS archive and make them available to you. I just checked the size
> of those modules listed above and chose a couple of examples to get you
> started:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~rossg/eog-cvs.tar.bz2 (3Mb)
> http://www.gnome.org/~rossg/libgnome-cvs.tar.bz2 (2Mb)

I looked into the problem with libgnome a little bit.  I didn't figure
anything out, but I'll write my findings here for the record.

The problem with this repository is a file that is both in and out of
Attic.  The files are

    libgnome/monikers/Makefile.am,v
    libgnome/monikers/Attic/Makefile.am,v

The two files have disjoint histories, in the sense that all dates in
the Attic file precede all of the dates in the non-Attic file, and there
are no tags that are present in both files.  Here is a summary of the
versions:

Attic:

    1.1           99.08.01.02.24.40
    1.25        2001.08.28.22.13.18
    1.26 (dead) 2001.09.02.18.39.51

    plus a branch with a single version:

    1.22.2.1 (dead) 2001.09.02.13.18.32

non-Attic:

    1.1         2001.12.20.19.04.38
    1.5         2004.05.05.07.19.27
    1.6 (Exp)   2005.09.29.15.23.18

    plus a branch with a single version:

    1.5.6.1 (Exp) 2005.09.29.17.15.42

>From the commit comment, tt appears that the Attic file's version 1.26
was created by a merge from a branch.  Presumably that is
1.22.2.1--notice that the commit times for 1.26 and 1.22.2.1 are only 5
hours apart.

I tried the simplest thing I could think of--deleting a file on HEAD by
merging a delete from a branch--but it didn't create the Attic/non-Attic
situation.

Michael