Re: Friends-of-GNOME database [Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users]

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 13:15 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > It all started with trying to find a way to estimate the number of GNOME
> > users.  An automated ping is the best way, but is ethically dangerous.  An
> > opt-in register is ethically fine, but sub-optimal for our purposes.
> > Also, we can do it right now, rather than later.  Plus, it can establish a
> > lower bound on the number of users, and seeing that number rise will
> > (hopefully!) be inspirational.
>
> Keep in mind that these discussions started entirely independently, despite
> the threads on the mailing list. The stuff we're discussing here is for long
> term contact management (FoG being one use case).
My apologies.  Too damn hasty again...

Anyway, I am delighted to stumble across this thread.  Can I ask if
there is any idea how soon one will be able, without a financial cost,
to register as a user of GNOME and optionally ask to be kept up-to-date
(or whatever)?

(And I promise to backtrack through the thread, too.)

cheers,

John

http://live.gnome.org/JohnWilliams