Re: Friends-of-GNOME database [Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users]

<quote who="John Williams">

> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:44 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > I think two somewhat different things have gotten conflated here.  I'm
> > not sure I've completely followed all the threads of the "GNOME-About"
> > discussion, but it seems to have evolved from a discussion of some sort
> > of automated ping to a way to allow users to register with GNOME.
>
> It all started with trying to find a way to estimate the number of GNOME
> users.  An automated ping is the best way, but is ethically dangerous.  An
> opt-in register is ethically fine, but sub-optimal for our purposes.
> Also, we can do it right now, rather than later.  Plus, it can establish a
> lower bound on the number of users, and seeing that number rise will
> (hopefully!) be inspirational.

Keep in mind that these discussions started entirely independently, despite
the threads on the mailing list. The stuff we're discussing here is for long
term contact management (FoG being one use case).

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

    "You know, it's not that unusual, even in Hollywood, for brothers to
         work together. Heard of the Warner brothers?" - Ethan Coen