Re: [GNOME-India] Building a community

* Foster greater acceptance of Free Software in all sectors
* Creating a dynamic and enthusiastic GNOME community across India
that is open to everyone regardless of background, gender, culture,
and sexual identity

I didn't put anything in marketing GNOME.  If we achieve the second
objective, we get that for free, I think.  I'm more interested in
people and community and generating enthusiasm.  I want to build
momentum.

Students are really enthusiastic about Free Software and there are many college communities/student chapters promoting it. Now, Ubuntu is popular among the linux users I have encountered and after Ubuntu's switch to Unity, people I know didn't care to switch from the default desktop environment. So we could use the existing community's infrastructure to not just educate about Gnome and the applications we maintain, but urge them to be users, developers, designers, etc by conducting events like beginner’s workshop.

Emily Chen, has been working on a wiki that is at the moment China
specific.  But we could look at what she's done and see if there is
something we can do.

https://wiki.gnome.org/GNOME%20Outreach%20Activities%20in%20China

We could curate a wiki of all the active Gnome specific communities in India (maybe world) and list their events. This officially recognition about their events would help the communities be motivated about Gnome and also help new users to join. Later on, we could even gamify the process by awarding swags to active communities.

Parth Panchal
prth on irc.gnome.org#gtg