Re: [evolution] String freeze break plea for gnome-43 branch

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Milan Crha via gnome-i18n
<gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
        Hello,

Hi,

I'd like to ask for a string freeze break approval for the 'evolution'
project for the gnome-43 branch in order to apply change for [1] to it.

For my fellow i18n coordinator who will try to assess the situation
like I just did: the link is to an issue that’s closed. It links to a
related MR, which has been merged a while ago and is not what Milan is
trying to get approved here. The issues is closed via a commit that
contains the actual strings. I supposed that commit was on the main
branch and Milan is asking for approval to backport.

There had been added only two options into GSettings, which have
translatable the <summary> and <description>. It's a hidden option and
the default is to use the header bars, thus there's no difference on
the UI side with compare to the 3.46.0 release.

So those strings seem to be:

"Whether to use header bar in the application"

"When enabled, adds buttons to the header bar and uses it also for the
dialogs. Changing the option requires application restart."

I suppose the other new strings about icon size in the commit are not
going to be backported.

The second string feels a bit weird. In “and uses it”, what does the
“it” refer to? I suggest rephrasing this, e.g. "When enabled, adds
buttons to the header bar. This applies to dialogs as well. Changing
the option requires application restart."

I returned back one string, "%s — Evolution",

Yes, this one is not an issue.

That being said, I believe it's safe to include the change. The
GSettings strings are hidden, thus may not cause any disruption in the
GUI for regular users. The added functionality will help to those whom
do not need header bars, which is a plus, from my point of view.

From a pure i18n perspective, the request is reasonable and here is
approval 1/2. Please add the strings ASAP once you get the second
approval, so translators get as much time as possible before the .1
release.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker