Re: String freeze break for gnome-software for 41.0

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:48 AM Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
Hi all,

Hi!

Can we have a string freeze break for gnome-software to add four new
strings to improve the user experience for non-sandboxed apps (i.e. all
RPMs and DEBs). Without this change, non-sandboxed apps will be
presented as ‘Potentially Unsafe’ with ‘unknown permissions’ which is
not particularly helpful to users for working out what to trust, or
why. On distributions which don’t have flatpak/snap set up, this will
be all apps in gnome-software.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/merge_requests/987

None of the existing strings are appropriate. The new strings are quite
short:

Packaged by your distribution
Packaged by a third party
Check that you trust the vendor, as the application isn’t sandboxed
Application isn’t sandboxed but the distribution has checked that it is
not malicious

The exact wording of these may change before the merge request is
approved; it’s currently undergoing review.

Accompanying issue:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/issues/1450

Thank you for the well written request, with all the details!

“Soft translation deadline” was yesterday according to
https://wiki.gnome.org/FortyOne
How soon do you expect to publish the 41.0 tarball? It looks like
merging now would most likely result in these new strings not being
translated for almost all languages. Do you reckon we could merge this
immediately after the 41.0 release, so it gets in 41.1?

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker