Re: Questions about how to start a new language in GNOME

Hi Amos,

On Thu, 2021-09-16 at 00:25 +0000, Amos Batto via gnome-i18n wrote:

My third question is whether there is any way to make the "ay" locale
default to a language other than English if there is no available
translation. Very few Aymara speakers know English, but almost all of
them know Spanish, so I would like Spanish to be displayed if an Aymara
translation isn't available. Is this possible?

As far as I know, I'm afraid that we do not have language fallback
chains in GNOME which would allow to display strings in a different
language than English when there is no direct translation available. :(

(I'm even wondering where such fallback chains might be available, not
to reinvent wheels. Maybe in the CLDR repo of the Unicode Consortium?)

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/