Re: String freeze for GNOME 41

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:46 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Having string freeze begin one week before 41.rc is not problematic per
se, but it is strange and makes the schedule more complicated.

I don’t really see a problem with the existing schedule.

So I have two (contradictory) proposals:

 * Start string freeze with 41.rc. Disadvantage: this would reduce
string freeze from three weeks down to two.

Nope. Three weeks can already be quite short, especially considering the tension you added by inserting a “soft translation deadline” *before* the newstable release.

 * Start string freeze with 41.beta and remove the string change
announcement period, increasing string freeze from three weeks to five
weeks. Disadvantage: it makes changing strings harder for developers,
and will increase the number of freeze break exception requests.

Right, and if exceptions become common occurrences, we all know how it will turn out: maintainers will miss the point and won’t just bother about the freeze anymore.

Either way would simplify the schedule, which is my goal. Any opinions
on this?

My opinion is that I don’t see the point of simplifying the schedule and I’m worried this will actually just increase the burden of translators.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker