Re: String freeze request for mutter

1/2 from i18n

Regards

El mié., 14 abr. 2021 23:15, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> escribió:
Hey y'all,

I'd like to request a string freeze request for the upcoming 40.1
release:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/1814

The strings in question are descriptions of keyboard shortcuts that can
be configured in Settings' Keyboard panel, namely the shortcuts for
navigating between vertical workspaces.

Those descriptions existed previously, but were removed for GNOME 40
when we switched to a horizontal workspace layout. That turned out to
be a problem for users who customize the shortcuts, and want to re-use
the same shortcuts with the new layout: The old shortcut conflicts with
the new one, but Settings is unable to detect that conflict because it
no longer knows about the old shortcut.

For that reason the merge requests adds back the definitions for the
old shortcuts, but tells Settings to not show them in the UI. That
means most users will never see the string, except when they want to
reassign one of the affected shortcuts, and Settings quotes the
description in a warning ("<super>j is already used for ¨Move to
workspace above¨")

Without the change users that run into the issue have to fiddle with
the shortcut configuration on the command line (for example "gsettings
reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-up"). In my
opinion that's worse than a stray untranslated string in the
conflicting-shortcut warning.

Cheers,
Florian