Re: Unauthorized translation changes in dconf-editor

Hi Claude Paroz, hi Ask Hjorth Larsen,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 5:02 AM, Arnaud Bonatti
<arnaud bonatti gmail com> wrote:
If a translation contains a web link to what is currently an
hypnotherapist website, it’s my role to remove that link before it
hits the stable release. Even if I didn’t had the time to join the
translator or its team to fix it in l10n. (Yes, it’s a true story. Not
a big issue, but a real life one.)

However the example above is a typical example whete it would be crucial
that gnome-i18n is aware of the issue, because the person that committed
that is either malicious and his account should immediately be blocked,
or his account has been hacked and he should be aware of that.

Of course, when I discovered that thing, I imagined various scenarii
like these; but that’s clearly not the case; that’s just a domain name
of a translation team that has been abandonned, and reused for
something else. The link is a broken link, so it’s not a direct
promotion (hopefully!), it’s just pointing to an inappropriate
website.

I agree with this - also, reporting the smaller errors to the
translation teams could mean that they are corrected elsewhere, as
they are likely repeated in the 100+ GNOME modules.  I wonder if that
link is found in multiple modules?

Well, if that problem is/was on my priorities of the week, that’s the
reason… I think most GNOME applications have this link in their About
dialog. So if it’s not a big issue in itsefl, it would be great to fix
it, and everywhere.

So, what’s the problem? well, dconf-editor’s Bulgarian translation
po/bg.po contains:
msgid "translator-credits"
msgstr ""
"Александър Шопов <ash kambanaria org>\n"
"\n"
"Проектът за превод на GNOME има нужда от подкрепа.\n"
"Научете повече за нас на <a href=\"http://gnome.cult.bg\";>http://gnome.cult.";
"bg</a>\n"
"Докладвайте за грешки на <a href=\"http://gnome.cult.bg/bugs\";>http://gnome.";
"cult.bg/bugs</a>"

That text is the one displayed in the About dialog for crediting
translators, but people on that list must know that. :·) The subdomain
http://gnome.cult.bg is broken, hopefully, that’s why it’s clearly not
malicious; but the domain http://cult.bg is… surprising.

As we’re here, if someone would like to take care of contacting the
correct people to fix this issue, that would be really appreciated.
:·)

Regards,
Arnaud

--