Re: Freedesktop.org Transifex org management

On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 20:35 +0100, Claude Paroz wrote:
Le 26.02.19 à 12:59, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
Hey,

[I know this isn't directly related to GNOME, but has there is an
overlap between the folks involved in GNOME and in Transifex's
Freedesktop.org org, and GNOME is a consumer of those translations,
here I go]

I maintain shared-mime-info on freedesktop.org:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info/

shared-mime-info uses Transifex as the translation service from
back
when it was a Fedora hosted/sponsored project.
(...)
The problem is translators have had problems getting accepted into
that
group, there seems to be no list of people to contact on the above
page, and, in the end, translators contact the module maintainers
directly, and they (I) know nothing about how transifex works from
the
translator/group management side.

(...)
I've been told Claude was responsible for the group. Is he still
responsible for it?

Yes, and Piotr Drąg has also admin access.

OK.

Is there documentation we can point translators to
about applying for a position in the group?

I think the main problem is not how to apply, but rather what to do when
the coordinator is not reactive. That's an issue for every translation
platform I know. Either you allow anyone to join and translate and you
end up with mediocre results, or you appoint so-called coordinators, but
those regularly disappear and if you don't have some list like
gnome-i18n for managing thoses issues, you are stuck.

Right, see below.

It's also true that Transifex used to overflow with notifications, and
many people simply deactivate all of them, so they are not getting join
requests.

I never actively disabled notifications on Transifex, I just never
logged in to the website after setting up scripts in shared-mime-info
back in 2011. I receive emails for completed translations, but not for
messages.

When I'm aware of such blocked situations, I try to contact team
coordinators and change the coordinatorship if someone volunteers. But I
often don't know about such cases.

I'd be happy pointing people to a particular address, or mailing-list,
but the problem is that I don't know what the workflow looks like for
translators on that platform.

Currently, the HACKING section in shared-mime-info's README says:
"
Translations should go through Transifex.net, and the freedesktop.org
team:
http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/shared-mime-info/
"

Could you explain what the flow should be for potential contributors,
so I can document it in that file?

Something like "Join the freedesktop.org team on Transifex, and email
XXX if you run into problems" ?

Or should I start looking
at other ways to get shared-mime-info (and other modules I
maintain)
translated?

You are of course free to choose the better way to get translations for
your module. My role is not to defend Transifex or any other translation
platform. The only thing is that if each freedesktop module chooses a
different platform, it's a heavy burden for translators trying to
translate all of those modules.

I guess GNOME would of course be open to setup a connection with
freedesktop Gitlab so as translators can commit through our
l10n.gnome.org Web interface. But I don't know if this is politically
acceptable as a cross-desktop product.

It looks like the problem isn't so much the infrastructure but rather
the admin around it. I'm happy to see Piotr and you are both involved
in the fd.o translations on Transifex :)

Cheers