Re: Freedesktop.org Transifex org management

Le 26.02.19 à 12:59, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
Hey,

[I know this isn't directly related to GNOME, but has there is an
overlap between the folks involved in GNOME and in Transifex's
Freedesktop.org org, and GNOME is a consumer of those translations,
here I go]

I maintain shared-mime-info on freedesktop.org:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info/

shared-mime-info uses Transifex as the translation service from back
when it was a Fedora hosted/sponsored project.
(...)
The problem is translators have had problems getting accepted into that
group, there seems to be no list of people to contact on the above
page, and, in the end, translators contact the module maintainers
directly, and they (I) know nothing about how transifex works from the
translator/group management side.

(...)
I've been told Claude was responsible for the group. Is he still
responsible for it?

Yes, and Piotr Drąg has also admin access.

Is there documentation we can point translators to
about applying for a position in the group?

I think the main problem is not how to apply, but rather what to do when the coordinator is not reactive. That's an issue for every translation platform I know. Either you allow anyone to join and translate and you end up with mediocre results, or you appoint so-called coordinators, but those regularly disappear and if you don't have some list like gnome-i18n for managing thoses issues, you are stuck. It's also true that Transifex used to overflow with notifications, and many people simply deactivate all of them, so they are not getting join requests. When I'm aware of such blocked situations, I try to contact team coordinators and change the coordinatorship if someone volunteers. But I often don't know about such cases.

Or should I start looking
at other ways to get shared-mime-info (and other modules I maintain)
translated?

You are of course free to choose the better way to get translations for your module. My role is not to defend Transifex or any other translation platform. The only thing is that if each freedesktop module chooses a different platform, it's a heavy burden for translators trying to translate all of those modules.

I guess GNOME would of course be open to setup a connection with freedesktop Gitlab so as translators can commit through our l10n.gnome.org Web interface. But I don't know if this is politically acceptable as a cross-desktop product.

Regards,

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net