Re: yelp appdata file

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Kalev Lember <kalevlember gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I went ahead and pushed an appdata file for yelp to git and didn't
branch yelp for 3.28 before that. I hope it's ok, as it's basically
fixing untranslated strings in gnome-software (almost all downstreams
were already shipping untranslated appdata files as downstream patches).

This seems to fall under the “marking unmarked strings” case anyway,
so I don’t think you need approval (but the heads is appreciated!)

piotrdrag +1'd the plan on IRC and Daniel Mustieles said in 2014 that
this has +1 from the i18n team :)

Exceptions are granted by the i18n team for a given branch at a given
time and one shouldn’t rely on a 4 year old nod in the general case.

Indeed, in such cases an exception is always needed, we can't grant an
exception for a "group" of cases, if we don't want to lead our freezes
system to absurdity.

@Kalev: Here you shouldn't speak about a case of "marking previously
unmarked strings as translatable". The appdata file didn't exist yet,
it has been newly added. Doesn't matter what downstream packagers do,
we should always refer to our Git content.

In any case, someone has to ask for a freeze exception *before*
pushing changes, additions, whatever. Doesn't make sense to write a
message after making the changes, hoping it's OK. And in this
particular case, adding an appdata file is far from fixing a critical
bug, which would justify a freeze break.

Best Regards,
Mario