Re: [dconf-editor] cleaning of translations, 2nd approach

6.03.2018 21:33 Mario Blättermann <mario blaettermann gmail com> wrote:
[...]
Unused strings can help to find a good translation for another string.
Well, nowadays the GUI tools like Poedit do this work using their
translation memory. But you must not expect that just everyone works
with specialized GUI editors. Maybe some (or some more, who knows...?)
people prefer simple text editors, and in that case the unused strings
can become very helpful.

This sounds like a good reason not to remove the strings, even unused.

In the extreme cases, if the translation is too incomplete and
unmaintained for too long one may consider removing the language
from the project.

Who is "one" in this case? Who makes the decision that it's okay to
throw other's work away? [...]

A project maintainer/developer? I don't know. I'm not telling that
one should remove the files but just in case if someone find them
not useful enough. There are lots of cases, including the extreme ones
where only 1 or 2 strings are translated.

In general, I'm in doubt about the benefit of your plans.

This is not my plan. My plan, or rather a suggestion, is not to touch
anything because it does not hurt. But I'm not speaking on behalf of
any project here. Take it as my own opinion.

A shrinking
of 3,3% of the tarball size is no real benefit. A (maybe) better
workflow for grep is no real benefit. With some clever grep calls, it
doesn't matter how big or "trashed" a file is. And last but not least,
you won't benefit from removing old and unmaintained po files, because
they don't cause extra work for you.

I fully agree with you.

Regards,

Rafal