Re: [evolution] String freeze break plea for gnome-3-26

On Sun, 2017-10-15 at 20:13 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 12:02 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
I just committed a fix for it for 3.27.1 [3], but I'd like to add
the
change also for 3.26.2.
[3] https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit/?id=c5ca2d356f

In 3.27 it's up to translators how "Re:" and "Fwd:" get localized.

        Hi,
the same applies for 3.26.0+, that's why this plea exists.

And up to the user whether to enable that localization or not.

That's what added the change above, yes.

"org.gnome.evolution.mail.composer-localized-re" also exists, to
recognize localized "Re:" (like "AW:" or "SV:") prefixes.
Setting that key (=the recognized prefixes) is up to the user.
The idea was to avoid lines like "Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Subject".

That's now thwarted by letting users enable localized prefixes but
Evolution by default not recognizing these localized prefixes.

Well, those are two different things (also see below). The "composer-
use-localized-fwd-re" bool option is there to let Evolution know that
it should use/add the localized version, as specified by the
translator, of the Fwd/Re prefix when creating a new forward or reply
message (aka when Ctrl+F/Ctrl+R is pressed in the Mail view).

And I don't understand why it's up to translators to define a
localized language prefix but up to users to set the localized prefix
to make Evolution recognize it.

Translators cannot fill "composer-localized-re", translators can only
define what the prefix might be in their language (which happened for
3.26.0, by tagging the strings for translation). The "composer-
localized-re" is to contain all the prefixes the user receives messages
with, thus for example some in German, Czech, whatever. It would not
make sense to need from every translator to define all possible
prefixes for all known languages.

The options look similar, but they are not the same.

I hope it makes it clearer.
        Bye,
        Milan