Re: Date Format with month names in genitive case - your opinions?

On 21 April 2017 at 02:46, Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak@lingonborough.com> wrote:
>  So, to make things easier for everyone, i agree that it would be better to
> use %B for "full date" form and %OB for "standalone" form (the chances to use
> the alternative %OB format for the affected languages are low and limited only
> to specific use cases, e.g. GNOME Calendar uses standalone form for
> Week/Month/Year views).

Of course, there will be a (hopefully) limited number of applications
which will need minor fixes and I'm already preparing patches for
them even if it is too early:

- to prove that the number of the applications is low,
- to prove that the changes are minor,
- to provide the fix for what I might potentially break,
- to let the people see the result already.

After taking a closer look, I was wrong about gnome-calendar, as it uses %B %d for its views.

I think that you as the translators have a bigger
experience as you have translated many or all such applications.
How many times did you translate "%d %B" or "%d %B %Y" vs.
"%B" or "%B %Y"?

The later is less common on translations.
"grep"-ing GNOME core and extra UI translations i found these three applications that use "%B %Y" or "%B" format:

evolution.master.el.po:msgid "%B %Y"
evolution.master.el.po:msgid "%B"
california.master.el.po:msgid "%B %Y"
shotwell.master.el.po:msgid "%B"