Re: Date Format with month names in genitive case - your opinions?

19.04.2017 16:19 David Sapienza <david sapienza protonmail com> wrote:
So I agree with fios: I think that it is better to use the "O"
modifier (%OB) for the genitive form (in the languages that uses
it) while we should keep the %B for the nominative form.

OK. Again I don't agree here but I'm collecting opinions here and
trying to explain my point of view. It does not mean that other
people must agree with me and does not mean I will not change
my mind in the future. Although at this moment I am strongly
convinced to my opinion.

But am I correct to assume that with your solution, languages which
don’t need different standalone and “format” forms would just always
return the nominative (standalone) form? I.e. basically nothing
changes for them?

For example, *with* your patches to glibc:

Original string is “%B %d”, which in the en_US locale expands to “April 20”.

Polish translation is “%d %B”, which correctly gives us “20 kwietnia[genitive]“.

Translation to a hypothetical Western language that doesn’t employ
genitive in this context is also “%d %B”, which correctly gives us “20
aprilo[nominative]“.

This is how every other platform works right now.

Best regards,

--
Piotr Drąg
https://piotrdrag.fedorapeople.org