Re: Unicode typography in translations

Hi Rafael

> It would be nice to have a script with regexp that could compare msgstr and
> msgid in a PO file, and report strings that are not in compliance with
> GNOME's HIG typography.  I don't have such scripting skill, but if someone
> has it, please consider do it.
>
> Regards,
> Rafael Fontenelle

It is easy to recognize when the English string contains something,
and the translated string does not (e.g. to find a unicode ellipsis
that was translated to an ASCII ellipsis).  But if the English string
uses ASCII, it is not always easy.  For example recognizing exactly
when the en-dash could or should be used instead of an ASCII hyphen.

It is probably a good assumption that any sequence of exactly three
dots should be a unicode ellipsis, no matter the context, but that's
the only trivial case.

Best regards
Ask

I agree that is not hard to recognize them while translating a PO file. I just would like to have a solution that allows a conformity checking that could be run anytime, as such Unicoded characters could be missed by the translator (myself included).

Rafael Fontenelle