Re: Unicode typography in translations

Thanks for checking! The only use case I know about is one of our more stubborn translators, but he is not active in GNOME anyway...

I guess all relevant distributions use utf8 at least for western languages.

Best regards
Ask

El 14 nov. 2016 19:22, "Piotr Drąg" <piotrdrag gmail com> escribió:
> Thanks for all the useful info.  I am very much in favour of using
> unicode as much as possible.  But what happens if someone uses a
> different locale encoding?  For example Danish is typically used with
> UTF8 (LANGUAGE=da_DK.UTF-8), but can also be used with ISO-8859-1.
> ISO-8859-1 does not have the ellipsis.  Will it work anyway, provided
> the po-file specifies UTF-8 as its own encoding?

I did a quick test with gedit and totem, which da.po files already
have a Unicode ellipsis and quotation marks, respectively, and they
worked fine with LANG=da_DK.iso-8859-1. I can't guarantee it working
100% of the time (I don't know how the internals work here), but I do
think we are safe in this case.

Besides, I can't imagine why you would need to run GNOME on anything
other than UTF-8. I'd be interested to learn about any use cases,
though.

Best regards,

--
Piotr Drąg