Re: Shotwell string disambiguation and Date intervals

Hi Rafael,

I have a three of i18n related questions regarding some tickets I have inherited in Shotwell

a) Disambiguation

There are  three tickets (744255[1], 744254[2], 744251[3]) in Shotwell asking for disambiguation of strings.
Since I've never dealt with that, can someone please check if the proposed patch in 744255 would be "correct" or if there's more that I would need to do?

I commented in BGO#744255 about my tests.

Thanks for checking, commented back. Sorry about the woe with the patch.

b) Date intervals

Then there is ticket 750902[4] - I agree on the splitted string things and would like to remove it - can someone provide me examples for why this breaks, because I assume the split was done for a reason.

Where can I find these date intervals in the GUI?

If you merge two "events" spanning several days, then the date span is shown below the key photo and in the event browser (see http://shotwell-project.org/dav/datespan.png)
I also understood the splitting now, it is used to create different span texts such as "Sat, July 4 - 5, 20X6" for two consecutive days, "Sat, July 4 - Mon, July 6, 20X6" for consecutive days in the same month in the same year and the full-blown string.

I suppose I should just add three format string for the three cases with extensive translator comments?

c) xgettext desktop file integration

I'm also trying to properly mark the .desktop files [5] translatable, but I struggle to properly get the file parsed by xgettext, it seems to fail on the Kewords line with "Unexpected multibyte character" - which disappears if I limit the line to ~100 characters. Gettext version is 0.19.7 from Ubuntu.

Reproduced in Arch Linux, same version. Strange enough, I ran the xgettext command line against only the shotwell.desktop.in.in file (instead of using POTFILES.in) and the POT was generated without issue. It looks like an upstream bug.

The behaviour seems to be a bit random. sometimes make shotwell.pot-update also runs fine.

Thanks!