Re: Challenges in translating GNOME recipes

Hello,

8.12.2016 17:43 Enrico <liverig gmail com> wrote:

 [...]
 About your mention to "My current approach is to provide separate
translations for
 singular and plural, but I guess this way of doing this will never be
 entirely ngettext-ly correct.", have you considered using the gettext
pluiral-forms
(https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html) ?

Yes, Matthias did. Here is an example:

#: src/gr-details-page.c:656
#, c-format
msgid "You've cooked this recipe before"
msgid_plural "You've cooked this recipe %d times"
msgstr[0] ""
msgstr[1] ""

Indeed, ngettext() and similar functions seem to be necessary
here. One shouldn't try to resolve the pluralization problems
oneself, first because they are too complex, second because
they are already resolved by gettext.

But in this particular case this pluralization will not work
as you want it in languages which don't have plural forms,
for example east Asian languages. In these languages they will
see "You've cooked this recipe 1 time" instead. Also there are
languages (e.g., Russian) which reuse a singular form for plural
numbers ending with 1 (e.g., 21, 31, 41...) so they will see:

"You've cooked this recipe 29 times"
"You've cooked this recipe 30 times"
"You've cooked this recipe before"    // 31 disappeared!
"You've cooked this recipe 32 times"
"You've cooked this recipe 33 times"

So if you really want a separate form for 1 then do it
programmatically but also leave the full pluralization support
for plurals.