Re: Adjustments to Akan Language

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Lawrence Aberba
<karabutaworld gmail com> wrote:
Hello, I am the coodinator of Akan Language

Technically, Akan ISO-639-1 code ak is a macrolanguage code and not an
individual language.  We have similar issues with many languages
(particularly those that might be considered "digitally
disadvantaged").

(as indicated on the teams page
of Damned Lies). I would like to draw your attention about a mistake made by
several projects.

Akan is not actually a language name. The language's real name is Twi. Akan
is the name of all the tribes that speak Twi. There are many variants of
Twi. Those I am aware of are Asante Twi (The most popular. Spoken by Asanti
People who are known as Ashanti People by the British who colonized Ghana),
Fante Twi (spoken by Fante people), Akuapem Twi (Spoken by the Akuapem
people, the widely used in literature. The Holy Bible was first translated
into this variant and it is very rich in terms of literature. Currently
considered as ancient and not spoken except for academics), and finally Bono
Twi (I have never seen a written Bono Twi).

http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp?order=reference_name&letter=a

639-1 ak
639-2 aka
639-3 aka
Akan
Macrolanguage
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=aka

fat     Fanti
twi     Twi

Which of these two codes best represent the language you are writing?

Please pick one.

If you have been referencing the Wikipedia page, then be aware that they
have got all this wrong. The Wikipedia contributors think Akan is a
language. But its is actually a tribe name used when you are referring to
something that has to do with all the tribes.

We don't rely on Wikipedia as authoritative, however the ISO639 codes
must be used, and unfortunately the macrolanguage codes are being
widely misused in a manner that tends to further disadvantage the
second variant of a "digitally disadvantaged" language to come along.

At the risk of stereo-typing, "coders" think it is advantageous to
"roll up" from the more specific three-letter code (639-2 or 639-3) to
the less-specific two-letter (639-1) code.

One effect of this use of macrolanguage codes is to claim the umbrella
macrolanguage code for the first comer, leaving the second out-of-luck
or producing conflicting translations.

Things get confusing when translating some terms. I don't know what other
translators (which currently I seam to be the only guy) may use since Akan
is Vague and confusing). I would recommend we use Asanti Twi since it is
currently the widely spoken variant. Whatever be the case, it is better to
use Twi which will make more sense instead of Akan.

For example "qu" is a macrolanguage code for Quechua variants

http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=que

Identifier: que
Name: Quechua
Code sets:  639-2 and 639-3
Equivalent:  639-1: qu
Scope: Macrolanguage
Type: Living

The individual languages within this macrolanguage are:

Ambo-Pasco Quechua [qva]
Arequipa-La Unión Quechua [qxu]
Ayacucho Quechua [quy]
Cajamarca Quechua [qvc]
Cajatambo North Lima Quechua [qvl]
Calderón Highland Quichua [qud]
Cañar Highland Quichua [qxr]
Chachapoyas Quechua [quk]
Chilean Quechua [cqu]  (Retired )
Chimborazo Highland Quichua [qug]
Chincha Quechua [qxc]
Chiquián Ancash Quechua [qxa]
Classical Quechua [qwc]
Corongo Ancash Quechua [qwa]
Cusco Quechua [quz]
Eastern Apurímac Quechua [qve]
Huallaga Huánuco Quechua [qub]
Huamalíes-Dos de Mayo Huánuco Quechua [qvh]
Huaylas Ancash Quechua [qwh]
Huaylla Wanca Quechua [qvw]
Imbabura Highland Quichua [qvi]
Jauja Wanca Quechua [qxw]
Lambayeque Quechua [quf]
Loja Highland Quichua [qvj]
Margos-Yarowilca-Lauricocha Quechua [qvm]
Napo Lowland Quechua [qvo]
North Bolivian Quechua [qul]
North Junín Quechua [qvn]
Northern Conchucos Ancash Quechua [qxn]