Request: Appoint a new coordinator for Finnish team

Hi

First, let me shortly introduce myself. My name is Jiri Grönroos. My first touch with Gnome must have been some time after I had my first contact with GNU/Linux, while using Red Hat Apollo 5.2 during the end of 1990s. I've been using Gnome daily since 2004 (Gnome 2.8) and have been actively translating Gnome for years, since circa 2008. My motivation to translate Gnome rose while I saw the coverage and quality of Finnish translations to decline. And now, here I am writing my first post to this mailing list because the current coordinator of Finnish team has been inactive for years.

There aren't many active translators in Finnish team. Actually I guess I'm currently the only one [1]. I hope this will change, I'd like our team to have more participants in future. We've had a few translation sprints during the past years [2], and the results have been positive. Although the participants are scarce, most of the Gnome 3 UI has been translated into Finnish all the way from Gnome 2 to the latest Gnome 3 release (3.18).

Our workflow hasn't been the most streamlined example: I've ran Fedora Alpha/Beta releases in VM and translated applications, libraries etc. Commit-ready po files have been pushed into git by the two people that have git access: either Timo Jyrinki or Ville-Pekka Vainio. We've discussed how to change the workflow so that it wouldn't require so much effort from commiters. As Damned Lies gained the ability to send po files directly into git in 2014 [3], this would be our preferred way to participate. Yet there's always a but! Our team's current coordinator has been inactive for a long time, and we don't have any members in the commiter role. Our current coordinator, Ilkka Tuohela [4], has agreed to step down and give the coordinator role to me. He will most likely give his blessing to this change on this mailing list if needed.

As per my understaning this change has to be made by a member of group coordination_team [5].

I have followed all the rules that a coordinator should [6], e.g. I'm subscribed to this list, I have a Bugzilla account. Is there more to do before proceeding with changing the coordinator?

Jiri

[1] https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/fi/
[2] http://laxstrom.name/blag/2012/06/26/translation-sprint-kde-49-finnis
[3] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2014-February/msg00000.html