Master, which version?

Sometimes I get confused about which version gnome Master is. Is Master always the newest development version? I have just updated the Dutch translation of gnome-control-center Master. Since gnome 3.18 is now stable, I thought this was gnome 3.20, but when I enter the command git branch -a I see that gnome-3-18 is not listed (conclusion: 3.18 = Master). Would it be possible to include the version number in the Master name like this (e.g. for Gnome 3.18):
//l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gnome-control-center/master-3-18/
Regards,
Hannie