Re: gnome-devel-docs on developer.gnome.org

Hi,

Could we implement a pre-commit hook to check XML syntax with gtxml [1]?

This is the tool I use to periodically check XML syntax from PO files, to detecttypos in tags or not properly closed tags in PO files, so running it before pushing changes into Git could help us to avoid this kind of problems.

My 2 cents :-)

[1] https://launchpad.net/pyg3t

Ekaterina,

Rather than rely on the carefulness of the translators (which will possibly fail at some point and a few times), isn't it possible to implement some kind of verification before pushing from the module to the website? My idea would be something like: schedule the pushes to website and before doing so, run the XML validation, and if it fails, do not push to website - and notify (the maintainer?). -- i'm not a developer, just throwing ideas.

Cheers,
Rafael Ferreira

Hi all, the gnome-devel-docs module is now shown in
developer.gnome.org live from git, not from release tarballs. This
means that if the XML validation is broken in any of the files or a
translation, a few hours after the commit, it will be broken on the
website.

I would appreciate it if anyone working on translations could verify
that their commit does not break validation.

In docs, we just run "make" after making the changes/applying the
patch, but I'm not sure how that would fit into the translation
workflow. If anyone has better suggestions, please speak up.

Having said that, there is a lot of work being done on gnome-user-docs
right now, so you may want to not translate it for a few more months.

Happy translating,
Kat