Re: String additions to 'gnome-terminal.gnome-3-12'

Hi guys,

My commit https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-terminal/commit/?h=gnome-3-12&id=8bd35254ff2145e82ea42ab5664b7f71874c7119 apparently went against the string freeze guideline. I'm sorry for that.

I'd like to request an approval for this change.

Adding the "Solarized" color scheme (http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized) was a new feature of gnome-terminal 3.12. Unfortunately the change wasn't complete, my bad. The palette of 16 colors can be set to Solarized, but the default foreground and background colors can not. The current change makes this feature complete.

The strings appear in a dropdown list, among multiple other values (such as "Black on white" etc.). The context on the UI makes it obvious that they set the foreground and background colors to some values. In the strings "Solarized dark" and "Solarized light" the word "Solarized" is a name and hence should remain untranslated (probably transcribed to non-Latin scripts), and "dark" and "light" should be translated at some point.

Solarized is a color scheme for tech savvy people, changing to this requires configuring quite a few applications in addition to the terminal emulator. Its homepage is available in English only.

I understand that the strings "Solarized dark" and "Solarized light" appearing in non-English UIs is not a nice thing, but I believe it doesn't limit usability in any way. One could consider these two strings as the names of the two variants.

thanks a lot,
egmont

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com> wrote:
> This is an automatic notification from status generation scripts on:
> http://l10n.gnome.org.
>
> There have been following string additions to module 'gnome-terminal.gnome-3-12':
>
> + "Solarized dark"
>     + "Solarized light"

Hi Egmont,

Your commit broke the string freeze. Please revert it in the
gnome-3-12 branch and (if you would like to) ask for an approval on
the gnome-18n list (CC'd).

https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/HandlingStringFreezes

Best regards,

--