Re: To unicode or not to unicode

On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 15:09 +0100, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
Hallo everyone

All right so for the the past (two) cycles now and this one, we have
been updating quite a few strings to use special unicode characters
e.g. for elipses, which to say the least is quite the monotonous task.
Now for a few applications* we are being asked to change stuff back.
Does anybody know where there is a red thread through all of this, if
there is a guide line or a goal for this that someone is not following
(knowingly or not) or if developers are just changing things at
project level the way they think is best (which then sometimes changes
from release to realese)?

There was an effort to turn Unicode usage into a GNOME Goal in December
last year. A lot of the details were sorted out and agreed upon, but it
never quite got the push it needed to get implemented (which is at least
partially my fault, sorry).

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/UnicodeUsage
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Typography

There have been many, many mailing list threads about Unicode usage (in
C locale strings) in the past, but nothing really concrete came out of
them. I can dig up the links if you want, but those two wiki pages above
are a fairly accurate summary of the current state of things, to the
best of my knowledge.

Philip