To unicode or not to unicode

Hallo everyone

All right so for the the past (two) cycles now and this one, we have
been updating quite a few strings to use special unicode characters
e.g. for elipses, which to say the least is quite the monotonous task.
Now for a few applications* we are being asked to change stuff back.
Does anybody know where there is a red thread through all of this, if
there is a guide line or a goal for this that someone is not following
(knowingly or not) or if developers are just changing things at
project level the way they think is best (which then sometimes changes
from release to realese)?

Regards Kenneth

* The current case where I noticed it is network-manager