Re: Announcing the Open Source Translation Database

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 19:21 -0400, Andrew Smith wrote:
> The OSTD ( http://littlesvr.ca/ostd/ ) is an automatic translations
> system - it will take your .POT file and populate it with translations
> based on strings in other open source software, generating .PO files.

(Disclaimer: I haven't try it.)
Questions that spontaneously come to my mind:

Which "other open source software" is/are currently indexed?
Which licence(s) are the translated strings under?
How do you make sure to avoid license violations (for example if I
remember correctly, GFDL <=1.2 cannot be dual-licensed with Creative
Commons)? Do you store each translated string in the database together
with the license it was released under and ask which license the
yet-to-populate .pot file will use?

> Given that you can see which software the strings come from - this will
> be much more accurate than other automatic translation systems such as
> Google Translate.

Sounds like a remote Translation Memory, and reminds me of applications
like "Virtaal" that can query services such as http://open-tran.eu/ or
Google Translate to populate translations...

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper