Re: Translator abuse?

Den 18-06-2012 12:56, David Woodhouse skrev:
The OpenConnect VPN client exports a library, libopenconnect, which
handles the fun part of communicating with the server to authenticate.

This is used from the NetworkManager authentication dialog.

However, The OpenConnect package lives outside GNOME git and its
translations are handed in Transifex. Its translation coverage is fairly
poor.

This means that when you use NetworkManager-openconnect in a language
which is fully supported by GNOME, you *still* get to see untranslated
strings where they come from OpenConnect itself.

I'm pondering "artificially" importing the translatable strings from
OpenConnect into NetworkManager-openconnect, so that they get translated
by the GNOME translation teams and the GNOME user experience for these
languages is much better.

However, this is technically a trick — I'd be importing strings from
another package *outside* GNOME, which aren't used directly from the
GNOME package, only to "harvest" the translations and put them back into
the non-GNOME package.

Would that be considered acceptable?

Considering whether or not this project should be moved to a different infrasturcture, I'll let other more knowledgeable people answer.

Considering whether it would be acceptable, I (from a translator point of view) don't see a problem. My reason for translating GNOME is not that my contributions should only go to pure GNOME stuff, but just that it is easier to contribute a place where a lot of work is gathered. So as long as it is FOSS and if you want to go through the hassle of making the strings available to us in the GNOME infra structure, fine by me.

Regards Kenneth