Re: word counts on damned-lies

El dc 13 de 06 de 2012 a les 02:08 +0700, en/na Andika Triwidada va
escriure:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Gil Forcada <gforcada gnome org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Seems bug #662454 - Incorrect word counts[1] has been fixed!!
> >
> > All the credits go to *Jiro Matsuzawa* who found and fixed[2] the
> > underlying problem on pocount (a utility in the extremely useful
> > translation-toolkit.
> >
> > Credit is also due to Friedel Wolff who applied the patch on
> > translation-toolkit source code.
> >
> > Finally all this got mixed together with the excellent Claude Paroz who
> > applied the patch on damned-lies servers!
> >
> > So, from today on, we can enjoy a far more accurate word counting on
> > l10n.gnome.org, hurray!!
>
> Cool!
> Any plan to make word count also appear on main team page or group summary page?
> (e.g. on [3] or [4]).
> They give more realistic measure of work load ahead instead of string count.
>
> Thanks,
> Andika
>

> [3] http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/id/
> [4] http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/id/gnome-3-6/ui/

Sure! That's one of my no-longer-secret-goals, make translators thing
about words instead of strings!

Maybe at some point we can eventually[1] drop the strings statistics or
make them optional.

As I already said every time I pester this list about words, the benefit
of bringing words to the table is to give more accurate data to
translators on how much time will they have to spend on a translation,
evolution documentation is ~1.7k strings, anjuta UI is +2k strings,
*but* evolution documentation is over 20k words while anjuta UI is
*only* +8k words, nearly 3 times less words!

Cheers,

[1] I'm not thinking on doing it now, just a typed thought :)

--
Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net