Re: How to mark Docbook sentences as not translatable

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 20:25 +0100, Pierre Wieser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, all is in the subject :)
>
> The user's manual of NACT application is written with Docbook.
> Translators make their best efforts to translate the manual
> efficiently, but the need has arisen to mark some phrases as
> "not translatable".
>
> How should I do this ?
>
> Some Google search only directed me to ITS [1], but I am not
> sure if this extension is managed by Gnome translation toolchain ?

There are two distinct toolchains in use in Gnome. The older
system is gnome-doc-utils, and it uses xml2po to manage the
translations. The newer system is yelp-tools, and it uses
itstool to manage the translations.

http://itstool.org/

itstool is basically a re-engineering of xml2po to be based
entirely off of ITS. So all of the things you can do with ITS,
you can do with itstool. ITS doesn't work in xml2po though, so
you have to use the new tools.

itstool does ship with default rules for DocBook, so it should
work out of the box. But I don't know of any real-world DocBook
documents using ITS and itstool right now.

One caveat: If you're using DocBook 4, your document will not
validate against the DTD once you start messing with ITS. DTDs
are outdated and busted and they fall flat when you start doing
namespace stuff. DocBook 5 uses RNG schemas, and works fine.

--
Shaun