Re: bug 551859 - translating aisleriot card movement hints

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd gmail com> wrote:
>> If proper gettext context is not supported, an old workaround is to use
>>
>> msgstr "nominative|Queen of Spades"
>>
>> and then have the programme strip off the "nominative|" part.
>> Although this is not considered a very good solution.  Also it would
>> be necessary with a comment instructing translators to ignore the part
>> "nominative|".
>
> I, er, don't think we can do comments either.

Okay, I suggest following your suggestion, which was to have three
families of strings (quoting):

* "the Ace of Hearts"
* "Move %s onto the Queen of Spades."
* "Move the Ace of Hearts onto an empty foundation slot."

except in the last one, I think "Move %s onto an empty foundation
slot." is better. You also suggested this in the bugzilla thread, and
although there were comments after that, they didn't specifically say
that there was anything wrong with doing it that way.  It's the
simplest possible string substitution, and unless someone specifically
says "this is broken in the  language", then we have to assume it is
alright.  In fact I don't even see how this case is dissimilar from
case 2).

I hope this will make things easier for everyone.

Regards
Ask