Re: Transifex instance for GNOME

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 13:53 +0200, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
> 2010/10/15 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny eglug org>:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:26:40AM +0200, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
> >>
> >> WOW easy does it. It sounds a bit like we have already made the
> >> decision. This should be discussed thoroughly before we decide
> >> anything or ask people to do work on it.
> >>
> >> While I can certainly support the idea of of-loading work from Claude
> >> and others, we need to carefully consider the functionality, because
> >> right now we have something that works for almost all that we want to
> >> do, and we do not want to go backwards on that account.
> >>
> >> Claude writes that while functionality may differ, that it might be ok
> >> as long as the total functionality is high. I only partly agree with
> >> that. I think there is some functionality that is _essential_, and if
> >> that can not be implementer then we should not move.
> >>
> >> The functionality that I am talking about is simple though and pertain
> >> to the fact that we work a lot more with sets that with individual
> >> packages. We have to be able to have overviews of sets of modules[1],
> >> (and it would also be nice to have overviews of the overview[2]),
> >> including translations status in the same screen, the same way we have
> >> today. This is so essential to the way we work that we, in my opinion,
> >> cannot do without.
> >
> > I was about to say some thing along these lines, but you summarised it
> > better than what I would have done. I just want to added that every time
> > I use Transifex I find its UI very confusing and things that can be
> > simply achieved with damned-lies are either impossible or done in a very
> > convoluted way. I fail to say what features Transifex offers that we
> > need; we neither need the complex multi-project multi-team
> > multi-workflow setup nor the near useless online translation tool (if we
> > ever need one, then IMHO only Pootle is worthy consideration currently).
>
> Well I should say, that I am not necessarily against. I just want us
> to consider our options carefully.

I would support that since I do some translation on GNOME and develop on
Pootle.

Pootle works quite well for a number of people out there both small and
large.

Interestingly I've seen many communities make long feature list, e.g.
commit to version control, which Pootle was the first to support.  So a
community process to decide what features are needed by GNOME is a step
which I seem to think has been missing here.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Associate             Research Director        +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blog posts:
* Localizing Mac OS X strings files using open source PO editors
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/localizing-mac-os-x-strings-files-using-open-source-po-editors
* What's new in Virtaal 0.6.1
* Localisation: How we guess the target translation language in Virtaal

Firefox web browser in Afrikaans - http://af.www.mozilla.com/af/
African Network for Localisation (ANLoc) - http://africanlocalisation.net/