Re: Do "enabled", "disabled", and "not found" need to be qualified per instance?

Hi!

Wouter Bolsterlee <wbolster gnome org>, Mon, 17 May 2010 00:33:38 +0200:

> 2010-05-16 klockan 00:09 skrev Joanmarie Diggs:
> > Right. These words won't be part of a sentence or fragment. So the
> > gender and number (if required in a particular language) would be for an
> > object which is understood by the user, but not explicitly
> > stated/included in the string.
>
> Short note about number/plurals: as far as I know, proper use of ngettext
> () and friends correctly handle this case for all languages.

ngettext is surely useful & needed in i18n, and I believe that Orca i18n
makes use of that already, notwithstanding, the issue we're discussing here
is much more complex in that translators need to sort out various forms of
adjectives (with their gender, number, case) and/or verbs (with their
gender, number, person, time, mood, aspect and so on) that compose predicate
in a clause to properly localize the strings (or string pairs) in question.

Regards,
Petr Kovar